A recipe for healthy Hidden Veggie chocolate whoopie pies. A traditional recipe with a little twist. These delicious little cake-like cookies contain spinach. Perfectly sweet with a rich chocolate cake and a creamy marshmallow filling.
Healthy Hidden Veggie Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Desserts and chocolate are big in my house, and so are these Hidden Veggie Whoopie Pies. In fact, we have a small treat every night after dinner. I can’t help it. I have a huge sweet tooth. I have to admit I purposely eat my dinner just to get something special. Do I sound like a kid? 🙂 You bet! It is no secret that I am a baker. I bake cakes, cookies and lots of desserts. You can come to my house anytime during the week and pick up a special treat.
This week I wanted to put a new spin on a dessert by adding in a “Healthy Veggie“. I took spinach and incorporated into a sweet whoopie pie cookie. Did the kids notice? NOT AT ALL!! In fact, they loved them and so do I.
One cookie is just enough to curve my sweet tooth and give me enough strength to be like Pop-eye. Are you ready to be as stronger too?
Let’s Get Baking
Whoopie pies are actually more like a sandwich, made of two cake-like cookies with a cream center. The cookies are typically chocolate with a creamy vanilla flavor, but many flavor variations for both the cookies and the cream have appeared in recent years. Like my little twist.
I want to debunk some misconceived notions. Maybe one of the reasons why you never tried making whoopie pies is the thought that they are a lot of work and too much time to make.
I have come to learn that making Hidden Veggie Chocolate Whoopie Pies is like whipping up a batch of cookies. No fancy tools needed. You simply mix up the batter, scoop it onto a baking sheet and bake away. While the whoopie pie halves are baking in the oven, you next prepare the filling, which approximately takes 5 minutes – less time than the pie halves spend baking.
Once finished, you give them a little time to cool completely before placing a dollop of filling on one half. Place the other half on top. Voila. Couldn’t be easier!
Healthy Hidden Veggie Chocolate Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup spinach puree (I used frozen spinach and pureed in my food processor)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 stick unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Whisk together in large bowl for later use, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cocoa powder.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil and dark brown sugar. Beat until incorporated. Add in eggs. Slowly add in spinach puree & vanilla. Once combined, add alternatively dry mix ingredients and milk. mix until smooth.
- Coat 2 large air bake pans with cooking spray. Place one tablespoon of batter on the baking sheet, every 2 inches. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While cookies are baking prepare filling. With mixer beat butter and all ingredients together until smooth. Spread about a tablespoon of filling on one flat side of a cookie and attach another.
How To Store Your Hidden Veggie Whoopie Pies
- Store whoopie pies in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
ENJOY!!! SHHH!! Your kids will never know you are feeding them veggies with this cookie.
More Healthy Food Recipes