When I first started out couponing 11 years ago, I would save between 10 – 15 percent on my shopping trips. At that point in time I still called myself a true couponer. I was clipping and saving, but things changes, kids happened, our budget got tighter. On top of all those changes are grocery shopping list got bigger. My couponing mind set changed quickly and I learned to shop sales (with coupons), stock up and stick to my list. As well as other little tips and tricks.
Each week, I provide many of my store coupon savings trips as savings examples. YES, if I can do it……YOU CAN DO IT! I started wondering how many people say they use coupons and what percentage they are saving on their grocery bill.
Searching for exact numbers for my questions, I found some statics released from the Promotion Marketing Association (PMA). I found it shocking. I never thought that the “average weekly savings” reported would have been so low. Here is what I dug up.
What Percentage That IS Really Saved by ALL That Coupon USE!
According to recent research from the Promotion Marketing Association’s (PMA) Coupon Council, many consumers are already taking advantage of the savings opportunities. The recent PMA Coupon Council Internet survey of 1,000 people found that:
- 89% of the overall population report that they use coupons when shopping (for grocery, household and healthcare items at supermarkets). – This number is based on people who have reported using one or more coupons in a one month period. I would say those people are not considered true couponers, but for this research project it was considered as such.
- 97% of primary shoppers report that they use coupons at supermarkets.
- Coupon users report an average of seven percent savings on their grocery bill
- The typical family saves between $5.20 and $9.60 per week using coupons.
- Those who spend 10 minutes or less per week clipping and organizing their coupons (46 percent of consumers) still achieve an average $7.00 weekly savings on their grocery bill.
SEVEN Percent…..that is what the average couponer is savings – I know that accounrding to this research stats that most of use fall way out of this percentage and are saving much more than this. I am not the average couponer and I know that many of you are not either.