Easy sweet and sour chicken recipe that calls for chicken, sweet and sour sauce that is better than takeout. Check out the recipe here
Simple and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken!
In our house we LOVE Asian inspired foods. We don’t do Chinese take out often (and for many many reasons). I came up with this recipe, Simple and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken as an experiment. Which is how I mainly like to cook. Anding in a little of this and a little of that can be a lot of fun. Some recipes turn out as duds while others make the “make again” cut. This made the cut and I have been making it for years.
This recipe calls for a simple sauce that’s packed with the perfect balance of sweet, yet sour Asian flavors. Soy, sesame, garlic, and more. The sauce coats the chicken nicely and really makes this dish what it is. You’ll likely have extra which I could eat by the spoonful. Seriously, no lie! I always keep a spoon nearby for “tasting” purposes. That is at least what I tell everyone.
Let’s Get Cooking
First, in a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Coat chicken with tempura batter and add to pan. Cook chicken until browned on all sides.
After chicken is fully cooked, I like to get as much oil off as I can. Using a paper towel drain grease from chicken. Then set chicken aside.
To prepare the sweet & sour sauce; Put all ingredients listed below (for sauce) in a saucepan (dissolve cornstarch in water), stir and bring to a boil. Stir frequently until thickened. Once thick add in pineapple chunks. Remember your “tasting” spoon? Pull that out and let your taste buds enjoy your cooking. See the full recipe below.
Simple and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Once you make this recipe, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to mimic Chinese take-out food. Except I think it tastes fresher and a
bit a lot healthier than take-out. Serve it with a side of steamed white rice and some veggies
Don’t forget that investing in a good wok will help with cooking. It isn’t necessary, but it does make cooking this dish easier. I love using my wok and actually use it for non-asian inspired meals.
- For Chicken:
- 1 lb Chicken (Cut up into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup Tempura Batter (we use Kikkoman’s)
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tbsp Seasame Seed oil
- For Sauce:
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic
- 4 oz or 4 pineapple rings chopped in chunks
- For Chicken:
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Coat chicken with tempura batter and add to pan. Brown chicken. Drain Grease after cooked
- For Sauce:
- In the meantime, prepare sweet & sour sauce. Put all ingredients in a saucepan (dissolve cornstarch in water), stir and bring to a boil. Stir frequently until thickened. Once thick add in pineapple chunks.
- Serve over rice. Spoon chicken and Sauce over rice. We like to have a side of steam broccoli with this meal.
Other Easy Weeknight Dinner Meal Ideas