Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Customize and make your very own personal Magic Wand! These homemade Wizard Wands are made from chops sticks and hot glue. This craft is not only perfect for your Halloween Costume, but for dressing up too.
How to Make a Wizard Wand Out of Chopsticks
All month long my kids have been on a magical journey. It all began by allowing them to watch their very first Harry Potter Movie, the Sorcerer’s Stone. And of course, I have to make them a Realistic Homemade Wizard wands of their own.
It will be a long time before I will allow them to watch the other movies, much too scary for their little eyes.
But in the meantime, I love just watching them use their imaginations. They have been walking around with my wooden cooking spoons as wands. Much too funny to watch.
I really wanted to make something special for them.
As I sat down in my “craft” room and did some brainstorming. I came up with up-cycling chopsticks with hot glue.
They came out so cute. And your Homemade Wizard Wands will too. This is where your creativity will come into play. Make them your own and based on your child’s personality.
What You Will Need To Make Your Own Wizards Wand
- Hot Glue Gun
- Embellishments, such as plastic beads, wire, beads on string, etc
- Ohuhu Markers
Tips for Creating These Wands
- If you don’t have any chopsticks, head outside and gather some sticks. When outdoors look for sticks that are nice and straight and not too thin. It doesn’t matter if they have some bumps and knots — these can add to the character!
- I have tried a variety of markers, from Sharpies to school grand markers for this craft. The only ones I have found that do not bleed onto the skin after drying is Ohuhu Markers.
Remember the wand (or stick) chooses the wizard.
Wand Design Ideas
Whether you want to know how to make a Harry Potter wand or you just want to make a cool Halloween costume prop, this craft tutorial will give you the basics on creating your own unique wand.
With a variety of embellishments, your imagination can create a special and unique wand.
Let’s Get Started – Step-by-Step Instructions
Please note there are printable instructions available at the bottom of this post.
You are going to want to be very careful after all; you are using hot glue.
First, start with the base of your wand.
After your glue gun is completely heated and ready to go, make strips or lines of hot glue on your chopstick.
When you have completely made it around the “top” portion once only.
Switch to the bottom portion. This is the fun part. I like to layer hot glue to the bottom portion. Once the glue is to the point of stabilization (or no movement) repeat the steps above again.
Typically, three times. Twirling as you go. The hot glue will do its own thing with your guidance.
This will make the handle. Twirl, Twirl, Twirl.
This time, add any embellishments to bling your wand out. Let completely set (roughly 5 to 7 minutes).
Always being careful when using a hot glue gun.
Bringing your wand to life is as simple as using Ohuhu markers.
These are the best markers for coloring over hot glue. Once the marker dries on your wand, it will not rub off. In year’s past, I have used sharpie and found marker all over my hands.
The fun part is deciding on what colors to use on your wand.
It took me about 5 minutes to complete. I wasn’t being too particular. I also colored over the embellishments. Your end product will look similar to the very first image.
This whole process for 2 wands took roughly 30 minutes to complete.
The fun and creativity are endless. Have fun! It is time to let the magic begin! Here is a few Harry Potter spells to get you started.
Make Your Own Wizard Wand Printable Instructions
Whether you’re making a costume for Book Week or Halloween, planning a Harry Potter-themed birthday party, or your kids just want to have fun playing as little witches, wizards, or magicians, these wands are just what you need.
Realistic Homemade Wizard Wands
Make homemade Wizard Wands out of chops sticks and hot glue. This craft is not only perfect for your Halloween Costume, but for dress up too.
- Ohuhu Markers
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
- First, start with the base of your wand. After your glue gun is completely heated and ready to go, make strips or lines of hot glue on your chopstick. When you have completely made it around the base once. Twirl. This is the best part. The hot clue will do its own thing with your guidance.
- Once the glue is to the point of stabilization (or no movement) repeat the steps above again. This will make the handle. Twirl, Twirl, Twirl. This time add any embellishments to bling your wand out. Let completely set (roughly 5 to 7 minutes).
- For the tip of the wand, using the hot glue gun, slowly add in your lines with a light squeeze. Making sure you are not adding copious amounts of glue. You will not need to twirl since this will be a very small amount of glue.
- Bringing your wand to life is as simple as using sharpie markers. Now is the time to start coloring away.
- Let dry just a few minutes and your wands are complete.
Please note that glue gun craft may not be suitable for the very younger and will need adult supervision and assistance.
Other FUN DIY Halloween Crafts
DIY Frugal Frankenstein Mason Jar Beverage Cups
Witch Hat Popsicle Stick Halloween Craft
Clara M says
Those are so COOL! I can’t wait to try making one. Hope they come out just as good
Well this looks like tons of fun! Just pinned!
Jen @ Inspiring Savings says
Thanks Maura!!! My kids have been going NUTS with their wands.
Diana Moriel says
I’m gonna have to make one for Isabel. She just finished the first book and watch the first movie for the first time and all she thinks about now is Harry Potter!
Jen @ Inspiring Savings says
That would be fun!!! We could join you guys. We could have a wizarding wand fun. We love Harry Potter too. Noah’s room is nothing but Harry Potter.