Love Homemade DIY beauty ideas? You can make your own Easy Homemade Shower Jelly Recipe. Not only are they fun to make, but it a rewarding. Get a SPA experience at home! Perfect gift for moms, teachers and more.
Easy Homemade Shower Jelly Recipe – Get A Spa Experience At Home
It is almost impossible to walk by your favorite cosmetic or bath & body store and not be drawn into purchasing Shower Jelly.
They are pretty in color, smell wonderful and you can almost imagine yourself having a mini spa day at home. I just can’t see myself paying expensive prices when I can make it at home for very little.
I came up with this Easy Homemade Shower Jelly Recipe. These soap jellies are super simple to make and such a fun little treat for the shower.
You can make your own Shower Jelly for super cheap. If you have ever visited a Lush store, they sell a small version of these for $10 or a larger version for $20. Did your mouth just drop? Exactly! You can make them in a matter of a few minutes and for a fraction of the cost.
Keep in mind that these also make a great homemade gift idea. You can just use any shower gel, body wash or shampoo. I do prefer to use better quality shower gel. It does make a difference with the scent.
The Benefits of Homemade Shower Jelly
Not only are they fun to play with, but they are made with gelatin. Gelatin is a known protein made from cooked collagen. Collagen is fantastic for skin and nails.
Watch How to Make Your Homemade Shower Jelly
Before making your own you can watch this video below and see how easy it to make. Then grab the directions below. I also have included a printable version (scroll down)
Are you new to shower jelly? In short, shower Jelly is just a gelatinous form of shower gel.
At room temperature, it falls somewhere between liquid shower gel and a bar soap in terms of consistency—like Jell-O (it is made with gelatin).
You can use it as is. I like to smash it into my loofah. It makes showering more fun. You can also place it in the refrigerator for a bit to get it cold. It will make showering a whole unique experience or you can freeze it if you prefer a more bar-soapy feel.
However, you choose to use your Easy Shower Jelly, I am sure you are going to love them.
Easy Homemade Shower Jelly Ingredients:
½ cup body wash
1 cup boiling water
2 packets of unflavored gelatin
Soap colorant (optional)
Silicone molds of your choice
How to Make Your Own Homemade Shower Jelly
Combine the boiling water and the gelatin in a bowl with a whisk until there are no lumps. Add in your favorite body wash, and mix gently so as not to create a lot of bubbles.
If your body wash isn’t dyed, you may add some soap colorant for color. I used a red body wash, and it turned out this pretty pink.
Pour your mixture into molds. I suggest a smaller silicone mold as I used, or you can use something you have on hand, like an ice cube tray or even a small cup. Think of the jelly as fitting in the palm of your hand.
Whichever mold you choose make sure you fill the liquid to the top of the molds and place in the fridge for 6+ hours. I left mine in overnight and set up well.
Remove your jellies from their mold after their time in the fridge.
Keep your jellies in a cool, dry place, and avoid direct sunlight. I just keep mine in the fridge until I need them, but I’ve also stored them under the bathroom sink, or in a dark cabinet before without any issues.
Just a few side notes.
- This batch filled up two silicone mini molds for me. Make sure to rinse the dishes and utensils you used quickly, so the gelatin doesn’t set up. They can be hard to clean if they’re left alone to dry on the counter!
- If bubbles are formed at the top of the mixture as you pour into your mold, it will stay with your jellies after they have set.
- Chilling your jelly in the fridge or freezer before taking it into the shower makes for a uniquely refreshing experience!
- If using as a gift, you can add in a few sprinkles of glitter to make the jellies really stand out. You will need to use glitter that is safe for bath products not the standard craft store glitter. You can find this type of glitter, here.
Homemade Shower Jelly Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup body wash
- 2 packets of unflavored gelatin
- Soap colorant (optional)
- Silicone molds of your choice
- Combine the boiling water and the gelatin in a bowl with a whisk, until there are no lumps.
- Add the body wash, and mix gently so as not to create a lot of bubbles.
- If your body wash isn’t dyed, you may add some soap colorant for color. This step is optional.
- Pour your mixture into molds.
- Fill the molds to the top, and place in the fridge for 6 or more hours or until set.
Gelatin can be found in the baking section at the grocery store. Lush uses vegetarian products that are organic. If you prefer to use a vegetarian product instead, Agar powder is a great substitute
Other Fun Homemade Craft Ideas