This Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Bake is a great easy weeknight meal or side dish. Perfect for a family dinner or get together. No cream soups needed for this simple take on a classic recipe! You can use frozen broccoli florets instead of roasting fresh broccoli to make it even faster.
This Broccoli Bake makes a delicious side dish or a meal in itself. I enjoy a classic meal like this, and for our family, this meal is not only delicious but it has become a comfort food staple. This awesome homemade version of a Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Bake and contains NO “cream of” soups just wholesome milk.
I’ve been craving Broccoli Cheddar Casserole for quite some time, and I finally got around to making it. Comfort food is king on cold fall or winter days. It goes perfectly with this Easy Weeknight Barbecue Meatloaf or this Delicious Parmesan Pork Tenderloin.
We’re exploring comforting foods for cooler weather.
Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Bake Casserole
Want to add a little protein? Just toss in some cooked chicken, bacon, or even deli ham to make this broccoli bake a meal. I like it just the way it is. Creamy, delicious, and filling! I love broccoli and how easy it is to get the kids to eat this dish. I have even had moments when I felt like adding some garlic for a little something extra.
This recipe is easily adaptable. Substitutions are great and most work really well.
Classic Velveeta cheese and milk are the base for our sauce in this broccoli bake. However, you can absolutely use sharp cheddar cheese instead. Melting down in a stockpot takes a few minutes, but make sure to stir so the cheese doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
Setting up your casserole
First start by Laying your pasta, broccoli, and then cheese in your favorite casserole dish. Then top with bread crumbs or crushed crackers for a crispy top. I like using seasoned bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs to add a bit of extra flavor to the dish.
I have to refrain myself from picking off that yummy topping while I’m waiting for the rest of dinner to be ready! As I like to say, “You do have to taste as you go”. Quality assurance.
We always have a problem of trying to dig right in but letting the casserole sit for a few minutes after baking helps it set to the perfect consistency.
The cheese and sauce will thicken up nicely, and it cools off enough that nobody burns their mouth when they take that first bite. No complaints about running cheesy.
This cheesy cheddar broccoli bake is a great choice for a fast meal that everyone loves. If you don’t care for broccoli, you can use any other vegetable like green beans, peas, or even carrots and cauliflower for a nice touch. Serve as a side dish, or as a complete meal.
Easy Substitute options – Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Bake Casserole
- Instead of using broccoli you can swap for Cauliflower. Chopped carrots, green beans or peas would also work too.
- Make this dish a complete meal by adding in cooked or grilled chicken, turkey or pork prior to baking.
- Adding a little Parmesan to your bread crumb topping is never a bad call. My kids love this best
- Go Gluten-free – swap out the pasta and bread crumb topping for their gluten-free versions.
- Make this recipe ahead of time. Then freeze for later use. It is a great freezer meal If you meal prep ahead of time.
Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Bake Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb Rotini Pasta, cooked al dente
- 16 oz Velveeta Cheese
- 12 oz bag Broccoli Florets, thawed
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the milk and Velveeta cheese. Stir often until melted.
- Spoon the cooked pasta into a 13x9 pan, top with broccoli florets. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and broccoli.
- Mix the melted butter into the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly all over the top.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1097mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
You can make our cheesy cheddar broccoli bake with whole wheat or even gluten-free pasta for a fun and yummy weeknight meal your whole family will love! I know I am one who is always ready for an easy meal.
We want to hear from you? Did you make this Broccoli Cheddar Bake Casserole recipe? How did it turn out? Use regular brick cheese or Velveeta?