This shepherd’s pie is loaded with flavorful beef and veggies then topped with fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes, then baked to perfection in multicolored peppers! This recipe is a twist on a classic. Make these Shepard’s Pie Stuffed Bell Peppers.
Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Bell Peppers
This is a new twist on an old classic. A family favorite of Shepherd’s Pie and Stuffed Bell Peppers. I present to you shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Bell Peppers. I am so happy with how these turned out. I loved using rainbow-colored peppers to brighten this dish.
It is a great way to feed a large family without breaking the bank. Plus, everyone is happy, especially the kids. When you have small kids you understand how hard it is to please them. The single servings size and colors make this an attractive meal for them. My kids I admit are little foodies. Especially, my son. He will try anything once.
You won’t be disappointed in the taste, the peppers really are the perfect vehicle for the Shepherd’s Pie.
If you have a favorite Shepherd’s Pie you can certainly fill those peppers to the rim with that or try out the recipe below. Don’t forget to serve these babies with a garden salad or fresh fruit salad on the side and you will have a home run meal!
Let’s Get Cooking…
In order to bake these gorgeous bell peppers, I like to use the small 8×8 glass casserole dish. You can easily fit four stuffed pepper without them toppling over.
Next, in a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and onion, drain and return pan to the stove.
Now you are ready to add in the gravy packet and 1 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Mix in the peas & carrots.
Lastly, stuff those bell peppers right to the top with Shepherd’s Pie Filling. Then top them with mash potatoes. Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes, uncovered for 10 minutes or until peppers are tender.
So beautiful aren’t they? And they taste just as good as they look.
When the budget is tight this Shepherd’s Pie Recipe can be a money saving meal. I can add in what veggies and however much ground beef I have on hand. Plus potatoes they are always so cheap. I like to buy extra when they are on sale.
Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- 4 bell peppers, seeds, and ribs removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 1 packet beef or brown gravy
- 1 cup of water
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Boil the diced potato until tender.
- Mash, add milk and butter and then whip with a hand mixer. Set aside.
- Place cleaned prepared peppers into a baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and onion, drain and return pan to the stove.
- Add the gravy packet and 1 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
- Mix in the peas & carrots.
- Fill the peppers 3/4 full, top with mashed potato.
- Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes, uncovered for 10 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.