Time to skip the store-bought snacks in favor of an easy batter recipe for a homemade corn dog batter. This is the easiest corn dogs you will ever make! Perfect as an after-school snack, game-day appetizer, or even a quick dinner! This Mix Recipe will literally take just minutes to make! Your kids will thank you.
Easy Homemade Corn Dog Batter Mix
There’s nothing like chowing down on a corn dog over the summer. You can skip the state fair and forget the freezer section of your grocery store because now homemade corn dogs can be on your menu any day of the year with this easy recipe.
Corn Dogs are simply one of the best Carnival on the go snacks or lunches at our house. Believe it or not, they are simple to make. It all starts with this Easy Homemade Corn Dog Batter Mix, your favorite package of hot dogs and vegetable oil.
You can prepare corn dogs at home just like those at the fair.
You can do it one of two ways using a deep fryer or on the stove. I received a Cool Daddy Deep Fryer for Christmas one year and just love. To be honest, I didn’t think I would get much use out of it, but I do. I also purchased this pack of 100 sticks many moons ago and we are still working our way through them.
Let’s Get Cookin’
Please note that you can print out your list of ingredients and the full recipe below.
First, using a deep fryer heat oil to 375ºF or on stovetop add about 4 inches of oil to a medium to a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot. Next, you will want to attach the deep-fry thermometer. Now you can begin to heat the oil over medium-high heat until the thermometer reaches 375ºF.
As your oil is heating up you can then start cutting each hot dog in half. Once cut, then insert a stick into the cutoff end of each hot dog. Thoroughly dry off the hot dogs with paper towels.
Lightly dust each hot dog with all-purpose flour. Most Importantly, Do not go heavy on dusting. This will make your batter not stick to your hot dogs (same with a wet hot dog).
Time to get dipping those corn dogs
Next in a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, cayenne pepper, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined using a spoon or spatula.
Now you can dip each hot dog in the batter until they are all completely coated, lightly shake off the excess. You may find it easier to fill a pint glass with your corn dog batter, then dip. It really depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
Then lower it into the hot oil. Fry the corn dog until golden and crispy, about 3 – 4 minutes, then transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate.
Please Take Note: I don’t want you to be too concerned about deep frying the whole corn dog with stick included. In other words, these sticks can be deep-fried without any issues.
Talk about Delicious Homemade Corn Dogs
After making these, I’m never going back to store-bought! They’re easy, delicious, and freeze well too! Our family fell in love with these and I think yours will too.
Dip and dunk them in your choice of condiments. Guaranteed you will love them.
Now is the time to enjoy this Homemade Corn Dog Batter.
Easy Homemade Corn Dog Batter Mix Recipe
- 1 pkg of Hot Dogs
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - for batter mix
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- extra flour for dusting hot dogs
- Using a deep fryer heat oil to 375ºF or on stove top add 4 inches of oil to a medium to large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Attach the deep-fry thermometer then heat the oil over medium-high heat until the thermometer reaches 375ºF.
- Cut each hot dog in half then insert a stick into the cutoff end of each hot dog. Thoroughly dry off the hot dogs with paper towels.
- Lightly dust each hot dog with all purpose flour. Do not go heavy on dusting. This will make your batter not stick to your hot dogs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, cayenne pepper, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined using a spoon or spatula.
- Dip each hot dog in the batter until it’s completely coated, lightly shake off the excess. Lower it into the hot oil. Fry the corn dog until golden and crispy, about 3 - 4 minutes, then transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
If you made these Homemade Corn Dog batter we would love to know how they turned out. Please leave us a comment below. Did your kiddos just gobble them up?