This Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya has all of the flavors of authentic jambalaya. It comes together easily in one pot, is gluten-free and dairy-free for a simple and healthier Cajun dinner recipe. Make this for your family in under 30 minutes!
Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya
Sausage Jambalaya is a great hearty dish that everyone loves. This healthier version of a classic Cajun dish is an ideal choice if you are trying to cut back on the calories but still wanting that delicious flavor.
This Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya is the recipe that I came up with when I wanted an easy and healthy choice. You can add in shrimp as well or just substitute the sausage with shrimp. Feel free to swap out whatever proteins you like for this recipe. You can even add in chicken. It will all work well. Just make sure you are using a lean protein source to keep the calories down.
The delicious flavor of the Cajun Chicken sausage compliments the spices and veggies perfectly. I used corn, which of course is not a traditional jambalaya type veggie, but when you have two small picky eaters in your house…you substitute for what you know they will enjoy. I am very happy with this recipe.
To get started, you will need a few ingredients on hand. Make your list, check it twice, and get ready for some amazing aromas to start wafting through the house.
Reducing the Calories
I usually grab my chicken sausage from my local butcher counter (they make the best), but you can even make your own homemade. A sausage jambalaya recipe doesn’t mean you have to have tons of fat and calories, just tons of flavor.
Using fat-free chicken stock adds in tons of flavor as the rice cooks, and the seasoning packets make up for any flavor you miss without the traditional sausage. You won’t even notice the change in ingredients.
Next time you want a budget-friendly and healthy dish, don’t hesitate to throw this classic Cajun sausage jambalaya on the table for dinner. You’ll love having a hearty meal ready in under half an hour and the savings in your wallet.
Add in classic veggies, or adapt as I did for the picky eaters in your family.
Serve with some crusty bread (or my favorite roll recipe), and enjoy any time of year!
What I love about this Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- It is what I like to call a “One Pot Wonder”. This means less mess,
- You can make it your own. Are you vegetarian or vegan? Leave out the meat and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- The perfect recipe for a busy weekend night. Make it faster by using Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice.
Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 can Black Beans
- Cajun Chicken Sausage (4 pack, found in most grocery stores)
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- (or use 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- Seasoning Mix:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch salt & pepper
- In a stockpot or dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat over medium.
- Slice the chicken sausage into pieces. Add to hot pan and saute until browned.
- Reduce to medium-low, stir in the beans & veggies, cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, rice, and seasonings. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes to bring out all the flavors!
- Note* to lighten up, even more, use shrimp instead of sausage!
I added some frozen peas and green beans, even though that is not traditional we love veggies!
If you made this recipe we would love to know all about it. Please leave us a comment below and let us know how it turned out for your family.
More Great Recipes:
Eating out is easy, and it usually tastes delicious, but it’s expensive. Making this meal at home will save you money. Add this recipe to your weekly meal plan.