This Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya Recipe is a great choice for a hearty and delicious meal on a budget! Make this for your family in under 30 minutes!
Sausage Jambalaya is a great hearty dish that everyone loves. This healthier version of a classic Cajun dish is an ideal choice if you are trying to cut back on the calories but still want that delicious flavor.
Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya
This Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya is the recipe that I came up with when I wanted an easy and healthy choice. You can add in shrimp as well or substitute the sausage for shrimp. Feel free to swap out whatever proteins you like for this recipe. You can even add in chicken. It will all work well. Just make sure you are using a lean protein source to keep the calories down.
The delicious flavor of the Cajun Chicken sausage compliments the spices and veggies perfectly. I used corn which of coarse is not a traditional jambalaya type veggie, but when you have two small picky eaters in your house…you substitute for what you know they will enjoy. I am very happy with this recipe.
To get started you will need a few ingredients on hand. Make your list, check it twice, and get ready for some amazing aromas to start wafting through the house.
I usually grab my chicken sausage from my local butcher counter (they make the best), but you can even make your own homemade. A sausage jambalaya recipe doesn’t mean you have to have tons of fat and calories, just tons of flavor. Using fat-free chicken stock imparts tons of flavor as the rice cooks, and the seasoning packets make up for any flavor you miss without the traditional sausage. You won’t even notice the change in ingredients.
Healthier Cajun Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 can Black Beans
- Cajun Chicken Sausage (4 pack, found in most grocery stores)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- (or use 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- Seasoning Mix:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch salt & pepper
- I added some frozen peas and green beans, even though that is not traditional we love veggies!
- In a stock pot or dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat over medium.
- Slice the chicken sausage into 1 inch pieces. Add to hot pan and saute until browned.
- Reduce to medium low, stir in the beans & veggies, cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, rice and seasonings. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes to bring out all the flavors!
- Note* to lighten up even more, use shrimp instead of sausage!
Next time you want a budget-friendly and healthy dish, don’t hesitate to throw this classic Cajun sausage jambalaya on to simmer. You’ll love having a hearty meal ready in under half an hour! Add in classic veggies, or adapt like I did for the picky eaters in your family.
Serve with some crusty bread, and enjoy any time of year!
More Great Recipes: