Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
This cheesy vegetable chowder is a delicious, filling way to pack in the veggies! It’s creamy, flavorful and downright delicious. Make this meal in just 30 minutes.
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder Recipe – Easy 30 Minute Meal
Making homemade Cheesy Vegetable Chowder doesn’t need to be complicated. After all, who wants to spend all day in the kitchen cooking?
I know I sure don’t.
You will want to try this delicious one-pot Cheesy Vegetable Chowder, an easy and light dish. Perfect to have in the summer, fall or wintertime.
My husband and kids are BIG soup eaters. I have learned to make lots of yummy soups in the wintertime, but now I get requests for soup even in the hottest of summer days.
We enjoy this recipe simply for many reasons, (one) it is delicious and (two) that you are not in the kitchen all day making it (I know… I am repeating myself, but it is true).
This chowder will feed our family of four and then some.
I enjoy making double batches of food and freezing the rest for a later meal.
Having a second meal in the freezer waiting for me to defrost instead of making from scratch on a busy day is a Win/WIN!
If you are a freezer meal fanatic like myself, you are going to want to get your hands on these Jokari Hands-Free Baggy Rack Storage Bag Holders. Believe me, this will make prep work a ton easier.
You can find all of these ingredients in your local grocery store.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot – It is cheapest to purchase full size carrots & not baby.
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped –Feel free to add more celery.
- 1 tbsp minced garlic – For a shortcut, purchase pre-minced garlic.
- 4 cups chicken broth – Using your favorite brands or homemade.
- 2 large baking potatoes – Cleaned, peeled, and chopped. Making them bite-sized.
- 1 tbsp flour – To thicken the soup slightly.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk – We use 2% milk, since this is what we have on hand.
- 2 cups chopped broccoli – Fresh or frozen will work the same.
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese –Shred your own cheese to avoid the anti-caking agents that keep it from melting.
How to make this Homemade Vegetable Chowder.
Please note that the full list of ingredients and printable recipe instructions are listed below.
This soup is simple yet so scrumptious!!
Time to grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking. Simple ingredients are all you really need. This recipe is a great choice for Meatless Monday. Only cold rainy days. This meal will warm you up and fill you up.
First, you are going to want to chop and prep all your veggies. Once you get this step out of the way, this meal comes together fast and easy. I do say; the chopping is the hardest part!
After you have finished chopping up your vegetables, melt butter in a large soup pot. Then add in onions, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender.
Cooking roughly 3 -5 minutes or until your onions become translucent.
Once tender, then add garlic and cook for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
Next, add in your chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
Now add in the milk and broccoli. Cook until broccoli is just tender, and the soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
As you can see, making homemade chowder doesn’t need to be complicated.
Then stir in your shredded cheese. Serve once melted and incorporated.
Who wants to spend all day in the kitchen? Not I! So, grab a spoon and start cooking.
Storing your Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
It’s best to eat this soup while stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. For best quality, you can freeze up to 6 months in the freezer.
If freezing, place in an air-tight container or zipper freezer bag. You will want to cool your soup to room temperature before transferring it to the freezer. Food that is slightly warm is more prone to forming ice crystals. Which can easily cause freezer burn.
But in any event, don’t let it sit at room temperature for more than two hours.
Enjoy your delicious Cheesy Vegetable Chowder.
You can make it as thick as you’d like, or a little bit runny if that’s how you prefer your soup. It is all about adding a little more shredded cheese or a little extra flour. Below you will find my family’s recipe.
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder Recipe
Don’t miss out on this recipe because you are simply going to love it!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder - Easy 30 Minute Meal
This cheesy vegetable chowder is a delicious, filling way to pack in the veggies! It's creamy, flavorful and downright delicious. Make this meal in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped (feel free to add more celery)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender. Cook for roughly 3 to 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.
- Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 720mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
If you made this soup recipe, we would love to hear all about it. We get so excited when we learn that you have chosen to make one of our recipes featured on Inspiring Savings. Please leave us a comment below.
Other Family Meals Under 30 Minutes
Easy Weeknight Barbecue Meatloaf
Peach Yogurt Curry Marinated Pork Chops Recipe
Fajita Style Easy Chicken And Rice Recipe
Eating out is easy, and it usually tastes delicious, but it’s expensive. Making this meal at home will save you money. Add this recipe to your weekly meal plan.
Leave a Reply