Did you know that you can make perfectly crisp potato chips in the microwave? In just a matter of a few minutes, you can make homemade healthy microwave sea salt potato chips. Perfect addition for your lunch or mid-day snack.
Healthy Microwave Sea Salt Potato Chips
Well, there you have it! Any amazing homemade sandwich, but wait you have no potato chips on hand. YIKES!!! Oh, the disappointment. It is simply a crime to have a sandwich without chips.
If you have just a few extra minutes and a few potatoes we have got you covered.
Making homemade potato chips is so simple, and it’s a delicious way to help fight those “snack attacks” or to complete lunch. All you need are three ingredients!
Over the years I have never had much luck creating potato chips in the oven. In fact, no matter how thinly sliced or oiled I made them, they ALWAYS just stuck to the baking pan. The mess it would make (facepalm) and the disappointment of not being able to eat potato chips when you truly were craving them.
It is a REVOLUTION!
The truth is that a short spin in the microwave can now transform slices of potato into crispy chips without needing a huge amount of oil, still seems nothing short of a miracle. When I say “CRISPY” I honestly mean it.
I did a bunch of test batches to get the perfect timing. It didn’t take long before we figure it out. This small batch is enough to create 20 or so potato chips. I microwaved them in little batches, 8 – 10. Making two servings.
Tips for Creating the BEST Potato Chips in the Microwave
- Your potatoes must thinly slice the potatoes, roughly about 1/16-inch thick. The best way to slice them is by using a mandolin.
- Make sure after slicing you put the potato slices in a large bowl of cold water and stir to release the starch. Drain and refill the water as many times as necessary until the water remains clear. This will make your chips come out crispy.
- When you put the potato slices on the plate, make sure they don’t overlap or they’ll get stuck to each other!
Extra Seasoning Ideas for Potato Chips
Before seasoning lightly spray with cooking spray to keep seasonings intact on chips.
- Sprinkle with chili powder and paprika
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Old bay seasoning
- Coarse salt & pepper
- Instead of using cooking spray, lightly sprinkle vinegar and sprinkle with salt.
Microwave Sea Salt Potato Chips
Anyway, you serve them, these will surely be a much healthier version than store purchased chips. If you have some extra no worries. Store them in an airtight container for about 3 to 4 days.
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 tlbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and other seasonings, optional
- Thinly Slice the Potato – Cut the potato in half. Slice one half on a mandolin, aiming for slices 1/8 to 1/16-inch thick. Immediately put the slices in cold water. (this will eliminate the extra starch).
- Dry the slices between two clean dish cloths or spin them in a salad spinner.
- Arrange as many slices as will fit in a single layer on a dinner plate lines with a few paper towels. Make sure the slices do not touch or else they stick together. Season olive oil, salt or other seasoning
- Microwave the slices at 100% power for 3 minutes. Flip them over and microwave at 50% power for another 3 minutes. Remove any chips that are starting to crisp and brown. Continue cooking until they are all crispy and golden
- Place onto a cookie sheet to cool. Eat plain or serve with your favorite dip
Originally Published March 24, 2015